Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Upcoming new test-suite release

2007-12-09 06:47:23

Julian Mehnle wrote:
<snip>

OTOH bad..dots.example is a syntactically invalid HELO, does 2.5.7 mean
that a:%{h} should throw a PermError ?

Yes, I think that's the intent. However, as I said, this is inconsistent with the overall tune of the spec. I think it should be dropped for consistency's sake. We can always revive the idea for SPFv3.

We could say 2.5.7 got it wrong, and it should be "no match", not
PermError.  Or we could remove the wannabe-erratum keeping 2.5.7 and its
obscure PermError as is.

I'd strongly prefer the former and would refrain from doing the latter. What do others think?
I agree

In both cases I think that interpreting dots within a quoted string
(LHS) as "embedded dots" makes sense, it is almost the same as
"back\\slash"@example or other odd creatures you might find in a local
part for %{l}.

It might make sense, but the concept would be completely novel to RFC 4408, so I don't think we can do that.
Exactly

Terry Fielder