RE: [spf-discuss] Re: Revising SOFTFAIL

2008-01-06 14:03:04
From: Edmig [mailto:emgemgemg(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]

Sent: zondag 6 januari 2008 19:17

To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com

Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Revising SOFTFAIL

On Jan 5, 2008 4:01 PM, Mark <admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net> wrote:

In other words: let the legit relay determine what is spam, and let him

set a HELO accordingly? I'm afraid that doesn't make much sense. Other

than that you make spam-fighting an almost entirely passive operation

that way, having to rely on the goodwill and HELO of a legit relay...

What is the purpose of a relay, other than to ensure the deliverability

of its clients' messages? This is where the burden of stopping spam

belongs, and where it can be done most easily.

There's a difference between hoping the relay will have checked for spam,

and counting on it. I'm saying: don't count on it. As receiving MTA, it

sure were nice if I could count on the last hop having set a nice, special

HELO for me, to indicate it didn't quite trust the sender or his mail. But

is that a realistic scenario? I don't think so. And even if someone

actually did that, as receiver I cannot bank on others doing my (partial)

homework for me. I am, as it were, purposely not 'cognizant', to use a

legal term, of what the connecting client may or may not have added in the

department of extra info that might help me determine whether a message is

a likely spam.

Also, what you suggested, that such info could be send along, as it were,

by means of different HELO, is not currently done a lot (if at all).

Likely they added some SpamAssassin headers or so, if they did any

checking at all. But I can't be bothered trying to come up with difficult

schemes to determine the validity of said headers (as if there even were

such a reliable method); and even if those headers were real, the spammer

could have just added those himself.

In short, far as I'm concerned, I rely on my own mettle.

- Mark