[spf-discuss] Re: Revising FAIL

2008-01-08 17:34:29

WebMaster(_at_)commerco(_dot_)net wrote:
May I offer this minor wording change...

| A "Fail" result is an explicit statement that the client is not
| authorized to use the domain in the given identity.  Domain owners
| should be aware that, while most mail receivers typically reject
| messages on this result as suggested, some receivers may decide to
| mark the mail based on this.

I'm playing with semantics a little here in saying suggested, in that
what I mean is what the word Fail suggests rather than the making of
an actual recommendation.  If developers were to take it as a
recommendation, I would not be heartbroken.  After all, when I
publish an SPF record with "-ALL", such that the outcome is an
explicit Fail for that domain, I would prefer the result was, in
fact, a rejected message.

Well, if the word "Fail" suggests rejecting, then why do we need to spell
it out?

I'd really like to avoid telling receivers what to do with "Fail".

FWIW, in future versions of SPF it might be nice to introduce a
"FAIL-REJECT" vs a "FAIL-BOUNCE" concept with some trigger in the SPF
record to further indicate and further qualify the preference of the
domain holder as to what the receiver should do with a "Fail".  I'm
not sure which would be considered the default, but perhaps the way
to handle that might be to follow an "-all" with a "-reject" or
"-bounce" or some such thing to indicate the domain holders
desire.  Personally, I think the default should be "-reject" to avoid
having to receive the bounces from a "Fail".  After all, I know it
should fail because I created the SPF record, the receiver knows I
want it to fail because they read and interpreted my intent, so let's
just drop the problem message and save both our systems further time
and energy.

Please let's not do the receiver policy thing.

I know it is difficult for domain owners to decide on how to qualify their
policies, not knowing how receivers will act on them.  However it will be
even more difficult for domain owners if they make assumptions about how
receivers will act based on recommendations that we put in the spec but
will actually be ignored by receivers, because receivers will always just
do what's best for _them_.  I know that I, as a receiver, would.  (For
example, I treat "Neutral" the same as "None" not because the spec tells
me to, but only because I happen to agree with the spec.)

Furthermore, why do you care whether the receiver rejects "Fail" messages
from your domain, or marks them, or drops them on the floor, or feeds
them into their /dev/random?  What difference does it make to you?