Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Revising FAIL

2008-01-08 19:20:15
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Julian Mehnle wrote:

I'd really like to avoid telling receivers what to do with "Fail".

No, but we need to tell receivers what senders *want* them
to do with "Fail".  I've talked to big company receivers that were
afraid to reject on "Fail" because they might get sued for rejecting
important mail.  They need a clear "No, really, it is ok to reject SPF FAIL,
in fact, we really wish you would.  We wouldn't publish it if we didn't
want you to."  That is not "telling the receiver what to do", but communicating
the senders wishes clearly.  That is, after all, what *Sender* Policy Framework
purports to do.  The receiver can still choose to follow the senders
wishes.  Or not.  But at least they know what they are.