Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF Internationalization

2008-04-15 00:20:04
Frank Ellermann wrote:
For a local part "Q&A" in "Q&A"@domain.example it could break: http://domain.example/why?user=Q&A

That's a good one, it is clear why it won't work.

Re-reading the first section, I realized it is about exp. (When I read
it yesterday, I didn't know about uppercase macros, so I turned on the
second link, and from rfc4408 to rfc3986 to learn what's an "uric".)
What about changing the section title to something like

== '''Why'''-service URL in Explanation modifiers

Yes, including the user's name in a why-page is a probably good idea.

http://domain.example/why?user=Q%26A     - %26 for &

So the above would result from

> <code>v=spf1 mx -all exp="See http://www.example.com/why?user=%{L}";</code>

Hm... are quotes ok? (domain-spec = macro-string domain-end looks broken)

It's not limited to %{L} vs. %{l}, e.g., HELO %{H} can also be odd
if it's used in the URL of an explanation.

Won't it come in its '--'-encoded form anyway?

 [ISP hints]
Many use "_spf" rather than "dummy". Does it make sense to follow
that trend?

Sure, here I didn't want to go into details about underscores in
DNS names, there's a separate FAQ entry for this: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Underscore_in_DNS

If readers think that _spf is required it won't cause havoc, but
implementors should not get odd ideas, any <target-name> is okay.

It could be clarified in the text that it doesn't have to be "_spf".
There are chances that the string exemplified is pasted in the zone
file "as is" (luckily, rfc2606 has been issued early enough...)