Re: [spf-discuss] throwaway domains and whois

2008-10-17 04:50:59
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Michael Deutschmann wrote:

You could set your system up to automatically whitelist any address your
customer mails to.  This will protect you if someone your customer is
already talking to suddenly gets listed.

Doesn't that assume "+mx -all"? One should whitelist the IPs where replied messages actually came from... Rather, I would whitelist the sender and just flag the DNSBL lookup response, delaying any reaction until responding to the RCPT command. That way it is also possible to forget DNSBL altogether for specific recipients who don't want that filtering.

Already do that.  And use honeypots for blacklisting (and content filter
training) - as well as behavioural triggers, like 4 forged MFROMs in a row from
an IP gets it blacklisted, and 4 nonexistent RCPTs from a MFROM gets the IP
blacklisted (and the MFROM blacklisted if SPF Pass).  The blacklist (and
whitelist) is self-maintaining.

May I ask how do you manage black list entries rehabilitation? I'm planning to do something similar to Stockade(*), i.e. to have a decay rate so that the probability that a listed IP gets blocked is automatically halved every that many seconds, until it eventually vanishes. That implies fuzzy blocking, though.

[*] http://caia.swin.edu.au/stockade/
They do it at the IP level.