Re: [spf-discuss] Resolving MFROM/HELO conflicts

2010-01-15 23:04:26
At 22:23 15/01/2010  Friday, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Don Lee wrote:

If they can get away with all those hoops, then I can require that the
HELO at least resolve.

Bottom line - I do not hesitate to require reasonable HELO values,
because unreasonable ones from legit servers are so very rare.

Unfortunately, all the bozos with bogus HELO are my clients potential
customers, and when my client rejects their bogus HELO, they take their
business elsewhere.  Sigh.

your client can obviously choose not to reject on spf helo fail
and all the other {helo as localhost} type dumb errors if they want
[their server their rules is the MAXIM]

{I personally look on it as an opportunity to highlight/help them fix the issue
thus the reject message gives them the url filled with the why/how info for
what they are doing wrong and how to fix along with my number etc. if needing
free support.
As if they need help delivering to my customers it is a customer support issue
as long as the caller is sending solicited mail}

its no reason to not empower the rest of us to drop invalid helo's
and have methods {like spf} to advise others which of our domains to never
accept within helo
{like i have v=spf1 -all on all my PTR-NAME WWW NS POP3 RSYNC MX SUBMISSION
host names to restrict bot output if it ever happens}
i only have otherwise on MFROM and HELO-client domains {and the HELO ones a
doozy to ensure it only allows postmaster(_at_)helo due to the cruddy way spf1
mixed both roles together}
{as well as self listing all but mailservers in PBL.spamhaus etc}