xsl-list

Re: HTML <script> tag

2002-08-29 02:11:57
Hi Stuart,

I am including the following line in an XSLT template:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="viewSource.js">
</script>

I use the latest Xalan for Java and the problem is that since the
text node of the element is empty, the XSLT engine generates the
following:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="viewSource.js" />

Well that is fine but for some bizarre reason neither the latest
version of IE nor Mozilla recognize this HTML and, worse, it causes
the whole page to render blank!

For what it's worth, when I have the same problem when creating
*XHTML* (when I don't want to use the 'html' output method), I create
a comment inside the script element so that it has some content, and
this seems to work. In the XSLT:

  <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
          src="viewSource.js">
    <xsl:comment>Comment added so script is recognised</xsl:comment>
  </script>

which comes out as:

  <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
          src="viewSource.js">
    <!--Comment added so script is recognised-->
  </script>

and seems to work.

Cheers,

Jeni