xsl-list

RE: Abbreviated form of XSLT?

2002-10-09 11:27:37
[David Carlisle]

what is the advantages of having XSLT expressed in XML syntax?

The other example is that the language, being xml is able to
be processed by xslt programs. This is in fact very common,
one can derive an xslt stylesheet as the result of an xslt transform.

Also it is sometimes useful to actually retrieve information from the
stylesheet itself.  I find it very useful to embed small lookup tables
in named templates in the stylesheet.  It is simple to get them using
document("") (of course you can use a key and a global variable to make
it faster and more readable).  I do not think that this would be
possible - or at least understandable - for a non-xml syntax.

Cheers,

Tom P