xsl-list

RE: Abbreviated form of XSLT?

2002-10-09 14:41:08
Ideally I'd like

        <xsl:template match="p">
                <xsl:apply-templates>
        </xsl:template>

to be represented as

        element p
                output "%c"

And we can all see how much easier that is
for humans to read. What, for example, is
the scope of the "element p" cluster.

I know I am a minority, but I really really
dislike languages that "imply" scope of
narrative by indentation and other tricks
of formatting.

<xsl:xxx>...</xsl:xxx> may be verbose, but
I can see right away where it starts and ends.
Ending when the next thing starts, or after a
semicolon, or when you encounter something of
your same level, is just not as easy to read.

I've been spoiled by years of markup to think
that starting and ending explicitly is not
verbose, but polite.

--Debbie

Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre
mailto:dalapeyre(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9633