xsl-list

RE: RE: Expected behavior for parsed source containing xsl?

2002-10-09 03:32:01
You seem to be re-inventing the JAXP 1.1 API. What are you doing that
JAXP doesn't do?

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
John Mostrom
Sent: 08 October 2002 23:36
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Cc: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com
Subject: Fwd: RE: [xsl] Expected behavior for parsed source
containing xsl?

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:59:36 +0100
From: "Michael Kay" <michael(_dot_)h(_dot_)kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com>
Subject: RE: [xsl] Expected behavior for parsed source containing xsl?

 We have been working on implementing parsed source in an
xslt engine

I'm sorry, I haven't the faintest idea what this means. Could
you explain more carefully what you are trying to do?

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

Michael,

I'm planning on providing an interface on an xsl transformation
engine for reusing an xml source by that engine. Here is a mockup of
the calls a user might make:

parsedSource ps = transformEngine.getParsedSource(
xmlInputStream ); ... transformEngine.transform( ps,
xslInputStream1, resultOutputStream1 ); ...
transformEngine.transform( ps, xslInputStream2,
resultOutputStream2 ); ... transformEngine.transform( ps,
xslInputStream2, resultOutputStream3 );

This is a pretty arbitrary example but what I'm trying to illustrate
is that a user of our tranformation engine may want to do the xml
parsing up front and then reuse that parsed source multiple times.

Thus my dilema: when the transform engine parses the orginal
xmlInputStream, should it process any xsl commands "contained" in the
xmlInputStream or not?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

John

 and have run into a question about what to do when parsing an xml
source that contains xsl instructions.

 (By 'contains' I'm including both embedded xsl and PI referenced
xsl.)

 Is it expected that the resulting parsed source tree
contains the xsl
as a subtree or should the resulting parsed source tree be the
transformed result of the contained xsl?

 I can see arguments for both sides but I'm leaning toward
the tree
containing an xsl subtree at this point. Is there any
discussion or
documentation on this issue anywhere on the web?

 Thanks,
 John Mostrom

 p.s. I'm subscribed to the digest so if you could cc: me on the
discussion, it would be great!

  XSL-List info and archive:

 XSL-List info
and archive:  http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list