xsl-list

RE: Expected behavior for parsed source containing xsl?

2002-10-07 16:55:12
I believe that you should always ignore XSLT PI references or embedded source,
at least as the default. It is likely that the embedded source or XSLT
reference is there for some other reason. Then again, some folks might
appreciate a property or commandline switch to specify that your tools should
treat one of these are the transform to use.

Thanks,

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: John Mostrom [mailto:jmostrom(_at_)adobe(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 3:36 PM
To: XSL-List(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

We have been working on implementing parsed source in an xslt engine
and have run into a question about what to do when parsing an xml
source that contains xsl instructions.

(By 'contains' I'm including both embedded xsl and PI referenced xsl.)

Is it expected that the resulting parsed source tree contains the xsl
as a subtree or should the resulting parsed source tree be the
transformed result of the contained xsl?

I can see arguments for both sides but I'm leaning toward the tree
containing an xsl subtree at this point. Is there any discussion or
documentation on this issue anywhere on the web?

Thanks,
John Mostrom

p.s. I'm subscribed to the digest so if you could cc: me on the
discussion, it would be great!