xsl-list

RE: Using document()

2002-10-08 14:55:14
I'm using the XLink model so my hrefs are URIs. In the example I gave,
it's a fragment identifier which should be expanded relative to the
source document (I understand xpointer to allow this). I'm assuming that
'#someval' is still a shortcut which points to some element with an id
value of 'someval'.

From http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#function-document:
If the URI reference does not contain a fragment identifier, then a
node-set containing just the root node of the document is returned. If
the URI reference does contain a fragment identifier, the function
returns a node-set containing the nodes in the tree identified by the
fragment identifier of the URI reference.

This suggests to me that if I use <xsl:apply-templates
select="document('#id2')" />, I should get the node of the source
document which has an id attribute equal to 'id2'. In the same way, it
suggests that if I use <xsl:apply-templates
select="document('somefile.xml#id2')" />, I should get the node whose id
is 'id2' in 'somefile.xml' which is a sibling to the source document.

So my question is assuming that there is a node with an id (in this case
an id attribute) with a value of 'id2' in my source document can I
reasonably expect the following to be equivalent:

<xsl:apply-templates select="document('#id2')" />

<xsl:apply-templates select="//*[(_at_)id='id2']" />

And the following to be true:

generate-id(document('#id2')) = generate-id(//*[(_at_)id='id2'])

Before I go and start telling excelon that they seem to have a bug in
their product, I want to make sure I'm right in my assumption (if not,
I'm going to have to re-evaluate how I do things).

Adam