xsl-list

RE: Using document()

2002-10-09 10:47:09
Hi,

Sure, you can use a URIResolver.  I posted in a little 'howto' on this a week or
so ago:
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200210/msg00019.html

It is geared toward a servlet. I also submitted a little example app to Dave
Pawson that should be going up on his FAQ on his next generation. You could use
the resolver to call another process to extract just what you need or setup a
transform that does what you need.

URIResolvers are a Good Thing :)

best,
-Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Adam van den
Hoven
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 9:45 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Using document()

From http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#function-document:
If the URI reference does not contain a fragment identifier,
then a node-set containing just the root node of the document
is returned. If the URI reference does contain a fragment
identifier, the function returns a node-set containing the
nodes in the tree identified by the fragment identifier of
the URI reference.

And it goes on to say:

* The semantics of the fragment identifier depend on the
media type of the [resource]

* The XSLT processor is not required to support any
particular media types

Which taken together, means that the XSLT processor is not
required to support fragment identifiers.

Ok, well that stinks.

I've been nosing around this for a few days and I noticed that the Xalan
(and others?) packages seem to allow one to create a class that would
resolve URIs. Presumably this means that one could write resolvers to
handle arbitrary schemes. Would it be possible to write a URIResolver
that could handle fragments, or is there something further that I would
need to do?

Is there another way that I can extend Xalan (or some other Java based
engine) so that I can reference nodes in this way?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Adam