xsl-list

RE: string processing

2002-11-22 02:33:40

Hi,
I'm trying to work out how to tokenizer two separate strings
and then compare their tokens using xslt.  Does anyone have a
solution to this problem?  It seems reasonably straight
forward in java but not so with xslt. Also it seems strange
that the name() function only returns the first node in the
node set.  If I am selecting a particular named group of
elements within an xml document that contain different
elements and I don't know what this elements are in advance
is there any way of returning all their names as a string?

The answer to both problems is to use recursive templates. For general
iterative processing of node-sets or tokens in strings in XSLT 1.0, you
have to use recursion. Once you master recursion, neither of these
problems is at all difficult.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com