xsl-list

Re: keeping source element after template applied?

2002-12-06 11:35:33
Hi Kevin,

At 07:46 PM 12/4/2002, you wrote:
You are correct, I was under a misimpression. I thought that once a source node has had a template applied, it's never returned too.

That's generally the case; but as you're discovering there are ways around that.

Try putting an extra <xsl:apply-templates/> instruction (i.e. a second one) into a template, and see what happens....

I guess it's really more a case of the style sheet being iterated over than the source document being iterated over.

Well, sort of, depending on what you mean by "iterated". :->

I thought that when using more than once template to match a source node, the most specific fit template would be chosen, and the others would never get applied.

This is true except that there are various conditions you can set up and coordinate to control what "the most specific fit template" is as nodes are processed, including using modes.

Anyway I think I can figure out what I need to do now that I understand what's going on and with your suggestions.

Cool! Post again if you get stuck. Notwithstanding occasional grumpiness, we do like to help newbies.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez