xsl-list

RE: how to "save" a context?

2003-01-16 07:53:22
Recent Saxon releases have saxon:parse() and saxon:serialize() extension
functions, but I would want to understand your application architecture
a lot better before deciding that they are the right solution in this
situation.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael(_dot_)H(_dot_)Kay(_at_)ntlworld(_dot_)com
work: Michael(_dot_)Kay(_at_)softwareag(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
S Woodside
Sent: 14 January 2003 19:03
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] how to "save" a context?

I want to "save" a context, e.g., when I'm in a specific
context node,
I want to be able to serialize the context node such that I can pass
that serialization as a string or what not, to another XSLT that
processes the same original XML. Then I could simply
select="deserialize(myserializedString)" and jump to the same node.
Assuming the XML hasn't changed.

I read the spec and the FAQ... doesn't seem to be an easy way to do
this.

FWIW, the string has to go through an HTML forms client/server
roundtrip, it will be stored as a parameter in an HTML form,
then when
they submit, the string will be used to access a subtree of the
original XML to expand that subtree and make new HTML forms for the
subtree.

simon

---
www.simonwoodside.com