xsl-list

Can one _generate_ namespace nodes?

2003-02-24 08:02:22
My fallback is to just add a placebo attribute to the result document
element:

That would probably work... but I'm not sure it *should* work. XSLT says
pretty explicitly that you're allowed to add irrelevant attributes to xsl:
elements.. IF they are in a namespace OTHER than XSLT's own namespace.

I'd much prefer a guaranteed-portable solution... or a clear consensus
that there isn't one, so we can consider encouraging XSLT 2.0 to address
this.

(BTW, in case folks haven't guessed, this ties into the "stylesheets to
render stylesheets" thread as well. I'm in final editing of an article
which provides a sorta-interesting example of doing that, and -- purely
for aesthetic reasons -- I'm interested in cleaning up its output. I may
yet resort to <xsl:element>... but I'd really rather not, for pedagogical
purposes.)