xsl-list

RE: Problems copying elements recursively.

2003-02-08 08:01:04
I managed to get the following template to produce
some kind of output closer to a possible solution.
But it still is not right...take a look at the output:

Here's the xml:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="test1.xsl"?>
<SomeOutput>
  <Content>
    <Code>2</Code>
    <ID>6</ID>
    <TranNum>1</TranNum>
    <Items>
      <Item>
        <ItemLine>3</ItemLine>
        <ItemAcct>6</ItemAcct>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <ItemLine>5</ItemLine>
        <ItemAcct>34</ItemAcct>
      </Item>
    </Items>
  </Content>
  <OtherDetails>
  <Title>Testing</Title>
  <Type>E</Type>
  <Time>12.20</Time>
  </OtherDetails>
</SomeOutput>

Here's the template:
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" />
<xsl:template match="/">
    <head>
       <title>Testing</title>
  </head>
    <h3>Raw XML</h3>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="//Content" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Content//*">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:text>---</xsl:text>
    <xsl:if test="count(*) &gt; 0">
      <xsl:text>***</xsl:text>
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:text>&lt;</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="name()"/>
    <xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="*|@*"/>
    <xsl:text>&lt;/</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="name()"/>
    <xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="//Content">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:text>&lt;</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="name()"/>
    <xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="*|@*"/>
    <xsl:text>&lt;/</xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="name()"/>
    <xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Here's the output:

 Raw XML
<Content>
---<Code>2</Code>
---<ID>6</ID>
---<TranNum>1</TranNum>
---***<Items>
---***<Item>
---<ItemLine>3</ItemLine>
---<ItemAcct>6</ItemAcct></Item>
---***<Item>
---<ItemLine>5</ItemLine>
---<ItemAcct>34</ItemAcct></Item></Items>
</Content>

The closing tags for nested elements need to be on a
separate line. And the indenting is not right for
nested items. I was thinking that maybe a variable to
hold the indenting characters would help the
indenting. How do i implement? Or any ideas would be
welcomed.
Thanks.

Yes, I wish to display the markup for only this
one
node...and all its decendants. Would the identity
transform help with this? I thought it was for the
entire document.

You can apply it to any node set that you wish, not
limited to the whole
document.  You can write templates to modify the
output as the template
recurses through the node set.

Cheers,

Tom P