xsl-list

Re: interactive XSLT

2003-05-05 11:07:37
Thank you very much for your response.

My first approach was to use Javascript and to access the DOM
of the XSLT
stylesheet, modify the parameters and do something like a
reload of the
modified XSLT. There is an article "Using the Mozilla
JavaScript interface
to XSL Transformations", that describes, how this could be
done under the
link
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xslt/js-interface.html
But the article is not very detailed and I could not get it running.

This looks like the best approach to me.  Can you describe how far
you got and what specific questions you have?

The XML data, that I am using, are quite huge (measurement
results with
several 100 MByte), thus I do not really want to dublicate
the whole data,
just to use a different style sheet.

The caveat with the above approach is that it uses DOM, and thus
you have to load the whole XML document into memory before running
XSLT on it!  Maybe that's why you couldn't get it to run?
If it's not possible to load the whole XML document into memory
(which could take several times as much memory as the XML document
file takes on disk), you may want to try SAX.

I was hoping I could find a more elegant way to solve this
problem. Isnt
this an "every day" problem. I am not too much into stylesheets, but I
expected the basic idea is to view the same data with different style
sheets? And this is exactly what I want to do ...

I agree, when I tried to do this I was surprised that this wasn't
something that everyone was trying to do "every day".
However I was able to find the information and get it to work
(in IE, with small XML files).

Lars