xsl-list

RE: RE: interactive XSLT

2003-05-05 12:03:48
The XML data, that I am using, are quite huge (measurement
results with several 100 MByte), thus I do not really want to
dublicate the whole data, just to use a different style
sheet. I was hoping I could find a more elegant way to solve
this problem. Isnt this an "every day" problem. I am not too
much into stylesheets, but I expected the basic idea is to
view the same data with different style sheets? And this is
exactly what I want to do ...

Exactly what you want to do is being done by Xopus (www.xopus.org).
Currently the site isn't much as they are separating the product into both
Open Source and commercial versions. I don't see a download right now; you
can ask questions on the mailing list, which is full of helpful people.

What Xopus does is download the XML and perform client-side XSL
transformation. The stylesheet is selectable via a menu (which is
implemented in Javascript) so you can get multiple "views" of the data. All
Xopus features are available in Mozilla as well as IE (they've written a
compatibility library).

By the way, Xopus can also let you edit the content (live in the styled
page, by reading your schema and knowing what's editable) which is
mind-blowingly awesome. But you don't have to use this feature.

--
Mark Thomas                    Thomas(_dot_)Mark(_at_)bls(_dot_)gov
Internet Systems Architect     User Technology Associates, Inc.

$_=q;KvtuyboopuifeyQQfeemyibdlfee;; y.e.s. ;y+B-x+A-w+s; ;y;y; ;;print;;