xsl-list

RE: postion gives me 2 instead of 1

2003-06-20 09:14:39
Paul Tremblay wrote:
Okay, I've found the culprit. If I use *just* the above fragment in my
xslt stylesheet, then it works. However, if I add this:

    <xsl:template match = "listitem/para">
      <block left-indent = "3">
             <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </block>
    </xsl:template>

Thenn it does not work. The processor applies the second template with
no predicate.

I don't understand why this is so. I thought the templates that were
most specific got applied before the ones that were more general?

Yes, but the granularity's not quite that fine.
Templates with "typical" match patterns like  match="para"
have default priority 0.
Templates with "more specific" match patterns,
like those with multiple steps ("listitem/para") and/or predicates
("listitem/para[1]"), have default priority 0.5.

If you assign your templates explicit priorities, "you may find
that stylesheets are easier to understand and less error-prone".
[Kay p. 316]

Lars