xsl-list

Re: postion gives me 2 instead of 1

2003-06-20 08:58:38
On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:54:59AM +0100, Jeni Tennison wrote:

I want to put a number just in front of the first paragraphs in each
listitem.

Here is a try from my xslt stylesheet:

    <xsl:template match = "listitem/para[1]">
        <block>
            <xsl:value-of select = "../@number"/>
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </block>
    </xsl:template>

This doesn't work. For some reason, xslt gives the position number
as 2 for the first paragraph.

So I don't understand in what way your first template doesn't work,
given that you say that your second template does. Perhaps showing
more of the stylesheet and showing the output that you're getting
would help.

Okay, I've found the culprit. If I use *just* the above fragment in my
xslt stylesheet, then it works. However, if I add this:

    <xsl:template match = "listitem/para">
        <block left-indent = "3">
             <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </block>
    </xsl:template>

Thenn it does not work. The processor applies the second template with
no predicate.

I don't understand why this is so. I thought the templates that were
most specific got applied before the ones that were more general?

Thaks

Paul