xsl-list

RE: postion gives me 2 instead of 1

2003-06-20 03:58:42
FAQ: the first child is the whitespace text node that precedes the
element.

But match = "listitem/para[1]" should work, because the [1] here means
"the first para child of a listitem". The position() function tests the
number of the element within the sequence of nodes being processed by
the calling xsl:apply-templates call.

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Paul Tremblay
Sent: 20 June 2003 06:25
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] postion gives me 2 instead of 1

I am having problems trying to do something with just the
first element.

Here is a fragment from my XML document:

    <orderedlist>
        <listitem number="1">
            <para>
Install python (www.python.org).
            </para>

        </listitem>
      <listitem number="2">
            <para>
Download the xml2txt from (?).
            </para>
          <para>
You can find the latest working versions from ...
          </para>
        </listitem>
      </orderedlist>

I want to put a number just in front of the first paragraphs
in each listitem.

Here is a try from my xslt stylesheet:

    <xsl:template match = "listitem/para[1]">
        <block>
            <xsl:value-of select = "../@number"/>
            <xsl:apply-templates/>
        </block>
    </xsl:template>

This doesn't work. For some reason, xslt gives the position
number as 2 for the first paragraph. For example, this
styelsheet works, but I don't know
why:

<xsl:template match = "listitem/para">
       <xsl:if test = "position() = 2">