xsl-list

RE: doctype declaration and msxmldom

2003-06-19 14:05:44
I work with SGML.  When you declare "DOCTYPE" the composing/processing
engine is going to expect a DTD.  Can you declare the necessary encoding
in the XML declaration (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8858-1"?>) and
then use the Unicode number?  I have a table that says that &egrave; has
a UTC code of #x00E8 and a numeric entry reference (?) &#232;  Maybe you
could research this and see if it fits what you need.  I don't know
anything about DOM so I don't know if this will help.

Nancy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Whitney, Dan
(CanWest Interactive)
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 4:48 PM
To: 'mulberry - xsl'
Subject: FW: [xsl] doctype declaration and msxmldom

OK not a lot of responses. But here goes:

All I want to do is include some external character entity files
(isopub, isonum etc) because in my xml instance I have &eacute; &egrave;
etc. The only way I know how to do this is in the doctype declaration
(assuming no
dtd) as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="fpir_web_wrapper_1.xsl"?>
<!DOCTYPE PUBLICATION [<!ENTITY % isolat SYSTEM "..\..\character
entities\isolat1.ent" > <!ENTITY % isopub SYSTEM "..\..\character
entities\iso-pub.ent" > <!ENTITY % isonum SYSTEM "..\..\character
entities\iso-num.ent" > %isolat; %isopub; %isonum; ]> <PUBLICATION> ...
</PUBLICATION>

IE6 opens file, no problems; saxon translates file, no problems, but the
msxmldom insists that if I have a doctype declaration I have to include
a dtd or a schema -- "The element PUBLICATION is used but not declared
in the dtd/schema"

Is that declaration correct?

Is there some other way of incorporating those character entity files so
that &eacute; becomes é? Has no one else had any problems with this?

Thanks,

Dan