xsl-list

need help with xhtml output

2003-06-04 00:24:51

Hello, I'm in the process of changing a web site over to xhtml. All the
pages are generated by XSL. So it would seem that changing the xsl:output
method from html to xml, plus throwing in the proper doctypes, would do
it, eh? But the following issues are driving me crazy, and I can't glean
any really simple clean solutions from the FAQ.

1. Outputting character entities.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to output "©" (in attributes)
and other numeric entities. © is unchanged, © becomes the
(c) character itself. For instance, I want to output exactly this sequence
of characters:

2. Forcing a close tag for elements

Mozilla, Opera and IE choke on <script/>. Textarea is another one.
The trick to do "<script><xsl:text>
</xsl:text></script>" seems like such a hack. Is there a better way?

3. html namespace attribute.

Consider this:

   <head>
      <xsl:call-template name="headers"/>
   </head>

All the elements that the template headers inserts get an extraneous
xmlns="" attribute. What is the best way to deal with that?

Thanks....