xsl-list

Re: xslt used for anything wacky?

2003-07-13 22:03:21
I don't know what is to be considered "wacky".

Probably in the context of XSLT all these (normal with FXSL) are wacky:

  -  numerical differentiation.

  -  numerical integration.

  -  Monte-Carlo integration, using random numbers generated in pure XSLT.

  -  Solving equations of one real variable using the Newton - Raphston
method.

  -  Spelling checking (e.g. generating all alternatives for a misspelled
word).

  -  Text justification.

But I consider the following two much more wacky:

  -  Controlled and reliable execution of extension functions with side
effect (a Monad Class implementation, in Beta)

  -  Implementation of lazy evaluation (proof of concept).

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

"Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote in message
Probably you know about the XSL Calculator:

http://fxsl.sourceforge.net/articles/xslCalculator/The%20FXSL%20Calculator.html

At the time I wrote "The Functional Programming Language XSLT - A proof
through examples" (Nov. 2001):

http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/fp/

I just stopped short of implementing a game -- a general strategy for
playing two-party games is defined in John Hughes' article "Why functional
programming matters":

http://www.md.chalmers.se/~rjmh/Papers/whyfp.html

The reasons for this were the following:

  - that the paper had already become huge.

  - I needed a game with known position-evaluation function.

So, in case one can provide a realistic position-evaluation function for a
game (e.g. chess), then a game-playing xslt application can be developed
in
a straigntforward manner.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

"Lars Huttar" <lars_huttar(_at_)sil(_dot_)org> wrote in message
Someone recently referred jokingly to using XSLT for cooking.

What examples does anyone have (in real life!) of XSLT being used for
unexpected
things?
Anyone written a game in XSLT?
I see there's a chess game rendering web page using XSLT at
http://members.home.nl/cws/ChessMerlinversusGenie.htm

Just curious...
Lars