xsl-list

RE: Re: Re: XSLT Architecture: Next Step

2003-07-04 06:19:47
David,

I agree with you, which comes back to my first expression. Why don't keep XSLT
for what it was created, presentation purposes (as Michael recalled from the
w3c sentence), and leave the process in the server level with more specific
elementary process programming under C, Java, Assy, compiled language, giving
the necessary XML view for the XSLT.

Claudio.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: Viernes, 04 de Julio de 2003 09:46 a.m.
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: Re: XSLT Architecture: Next Step

Of course there should be a difference between FXSLT (based on XSLT
definition, though interpreted as well) than using the same extension,
for instance, from Saxon, where the function is developed in a
language like java. I can think of performance issues difference, for
instance, but I cannot guess the result. Also, portability is another
issue, which I think FXSLT should be in advantage.

What you say is true but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

You could write all your programs in assembler if you want optimum
performance. FXSLT is a demonstration of functional programming paradigm
in XSLT, the fact that you can do some things in a functional style that
you could also do in C or java is hardly news, nor is the fact that C is
likely to be quicker than java which is likely to be quicker than the
functional style. The benefits of functional programming are many, but
outright speed against optimised c code has never been claimed as one of
them.

You keep returning to this issue of extensions, I just don't understand
why. There is no overwhelming reason to use XSLT, you could write your
entire transform as DOM manipulations in Java if that is your preferred
environment, but if you decide to use XSLT (and I find it is often a
good choice) surely it is better to investigate the features and
programming styles of that language for at least a minute or two before
continually probing about possibilities for extensions to escape to other
languages. Yes those extensions are there, and yes they are useful in
certain situations, but if you base your programming entirely around
the possibility of calling Java functions, then I wonder what benefit
you gain from XSLT at all?

David