xsl-list

RE: XSLT Architecture: Next Step

2003-07-03 07:41:20
Mark,

Yes... maybe you are right... there could be circumstances where the
"presentation" is looked as a more wide word (maybe "transformation" -I wonder
why w3c discriminated this word-), and perhaps this intermediate layer could
get a benefit from it. But there should be some constraints, from the
application architecture point of view, that forces the proper use of the
language (in this case XSLT) in order to apply just such instructions that can
help only in this transformation (maybe a subset).

Claudio.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Seaborne [mailto:MSeaborne(_at_)origoservices(_dot_)com]
Sent: Jueves, 03 de Julio de 2003 10:25 a.m.
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Step

-----Original Message-----
From: Claudio Russo [mailto:crusso(_at_)azurixbasa(_dot_)com(_dot_)ar]
Sent: 03 July 2003 13:11
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Step

I've been looking at Didier's article,
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/04/19/style/index.html, and I
found it very usefull. Now I have some opinions that brought
to my attention.

From what I read on it and previously in other articles about
the subject, my first impression was that XSLT pourpose was
to perform the presentation of data in a browser or cel phone
or whatever (which is also well explained on Didier's
article). While doing this, one could preserve the logic of
extracting and calculation to the server, in which ever is
the language that somebody likes to work, from let's say, an
RDB/IMS/VSAM to a XML structure. This way the resulting data
was transfered to the client machine, where an XSLT schema
presented in the way the view device need it (HTML/WAP/Voice).

Now, from the msgs I see on the list I see that people
pretend to use XSLT for whatever they figure out (maybe also
for cooking).

The question is (or are): Do you share these views?

Speaking as one, fairly long-term user of XSLT I would say that I certainly
don't always use XSLT to produce presentation. However, I do normally use it to
transform the structures containing information, rather than to transform the
information itself. It is not always possible to make such a clean distinction,
but it serves pretty well. I have to say that I came to the idea that is often
better not to mix transformation of structure with transformation of content
when working with EDI systems a few years ago. So I agree pretty much with your
statement, with the caveat that the transform doesn't necessarily have to be
for the benefit of a presentation layer.

All the best

Mark Seaborne