xsl-list

Re: xsl:sort in old MSXML

2003-07-01 06:18:53

Thanks for your answers. Let me wrap up.

I was answering your first post (without the code) so I was assuming you
were still using microsft-specific language. your repost showed you were
using xslt now so many of my comments don't apply.

However if you use msxsl extension elements then clearly they will only
run on msxsl. Often you'll find that you can write that directly in xslt
without needing an extension. (I seem to have deleted your message with
the code)

2) So users with IE 4.0 or Netscape 4.0 will not be able to execute
2) the attached code, unless they have installed this compatibility
2) feature (msxml3)?

Neither IE4 nor netscape can use msxml3. netscape 7 and higher has its
own implementation of XSLT (as did netscape 6, but it was very buggy
there) IE4 and netscape 4 are just too old.

3) When you mean "using a standard language", you are talking to apply
3) straight the standard specifications for XSLT 1.0? What about the
3) features not available, use javascript or any other language?

yes I ment xslt as opposed to microsofts transfomation language wd-xsl.
If you need to write hjavascript into teh generated html page that;s
just data it doesn't need any special extension. Ifyou mean javascript
extensions in teh xsl stylesheet then that makes it non portable, but as
I say above you probably don'tneed that as often as you think.

I don't have access to a server (I did some applications in a free
site hosting), the transformations aren't done in this case in the
client side?

If you don't have access to either a sever or a client that can do XSLT
then you can't use XSLT, you have to just write HTML.

4) Maybe I write it wrong, but I see in this list that some people use
   XSLT Saxon implementation, some MS implementation, and some
   others. Does this mean for instance that if someone implemented an
   application using Saxon features, other like me, using IE 6.0 will
   not be able to browse her/his Saxon page?>

XSLT is a language, saxon is an implementation. this is like C or java
or any other language. If you stick to the language as specified, it
should work on any implementation, but if you use extensions from one
particular system then of course it works on that system and not others.
You can in xslt check which system the stylesheet is running and so
protect your non-portable code in conditional sections and offer
fallbacks for other systems. People don't "browse saxon pages"
as saxon isn't built into a browser, you rn saxon on teh comman dline,
or on the server and distribute the results of that transform, typically
as html.

5) If I start using XSLT 2.0 language definition, will my IE 6.0
5) browser be able to view this application? What about the rest?

XSLT2 isn't even fully specified yet, no system implements it
fully. saxon 7 implements quite a lot of the current draft,
none of the web browsers implement it yet. XSLT2 also changes quite a
lot between drafts so should not be used for stylesheets that you want
to last for more than a month or so at present.

David