xsl-list

Re: xsl:sort in old MSXML

2003-07-01 07:24:14

  So, as in the code I sent you, when I use:

        xmlns:js="javascript:code"
        xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
        xmlns:ms="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
        xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";

  1) It means that "xsl" and "fo" stick to the standard (and will run on
     any implementation of IE and Netscape), but "msxsl" and "ms"
     doesn't stick to it.

Neither IE nor netscape implement XSLT FO.
But your code was generating HTML so you don't need that namespace at
all.

XSLT specifies an extension mechanism, and most systems have extensions.
So it is conformant for MSXML to have the msxsl extension namespace but
obviously it doesn't work anywhere else.
Really you should learn the language first and then start using
extensions later.
If you knew C and didn't know Java you could write all your "java" code
as a simple wrapper that used the JNI to call functions written in C,
but it wouldn't be portable and it wouldn't be "the java way".
What you are doing is exactly the same, rather than trying to write XSLT
you are trying to escape to run functions in other languages.

2) What about "js"? Isn't it portable the code?

No its not portable at all. Most XSLT engines do not include a
javascript system (Why should they?). As you are using an XSLT system
built into a browser and that browser also has a javascript system there
is an extension provided to let you call each language from the other,
but that is not usually the case.

3) Access to server: My application is in yahoo geocities. Even I
3) don't have access to the "server" I can still browse the page with
3) the stylesheet. Why do you say I cannot use XSLT?

You can (you said you have IE6) but you were asking about IE4 and
netscape 4. If you serve XML files that have an <?xml-stylesheet
refering to an XSLT file then people with ancient browsers can not read
your file.

David