xsl-list

Re: Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules

2003-09-17 17:12:11

UAX#14 is implimented by ICU (International Component for Unicode).
But I am reported that ICU has such problem as it breaks like "UTF-
8". Perhaps, it also may not be permitted.

If you compare the description of UAX#14 and Unicode database text,
you will find that there are some difference.

In my concept, UAX#14 is very ambitious, but it is a little too
rough to be a standard. I am going to report these problems to
the author, hoping that the standard will be more refined.

Best regards,

Tokushige Kobayashi

Reply to the original mail from:
 xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

However, I will comment that in my reasonably close (but somewhat
late-night) reading of Annex 14, I did not see this--the way the rules
are defined makes it pretty difficult to decode the rules without a
really close reading--and I'm a person whose spent most of the last 10
years writing and decoding complex standards.

I know that standards writers are always strapped for resources and that
these sorts of annexes always get a lower priority, but it would be
helpful if this annex could be made a little clearer, I think. At a
minimum, a bit more discussion of the implications of the rules might be
helpful.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber
ISOGEN International, LLC

Tokushige Kobayashi
Antenna House, Inc.
E-mail koba(_at_)antenna(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp
WWW    http://www.antenna.co.jp/XML/xml-top.htm
WWW    http://www.antennahouse.com/xslformatter.html (English)
TEL    +81-3-3234-1361(direct call)
FAX    +81-3-3221-9975