xsl-list

Re: Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules

2003-09-17 08:31:47
"W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot(_at_)isogen(_dot_)com> wrote at Wed, 17 Sep 2003
09:48:11 -0500:
I know that standards writers are always strapped for resources and that
these sorts of annexes always get a lower priority, but it would be
helpful if this annex could be made a little clearer, I think. At a
minimum, a bit more discussion of the implications of the rules might be
helpful.

I think you misunderstand the Unicode usage of the word "Annex".

   A Unicode Standard Annex (UAX) forms an integral part of the
   Unicode Standard, but is published as a separate document. Note
   that conformance to a version of the Unicode Standard includes
   conformance to its Unicode Standard Annexes. The version number of
   a UAX document corresponds to the version number of the Unicode
   Standard at the last point that the UAX document was updated. [1]

In essence, the annexes are separate but 'integral' so they can be
updated at 'minor' releases of the Unicode Standard instead of only at
the 3-4 year cycle of the major, book form of the Standard.

Calling them 'Standard Annexes' instead of plain 'Technical Reports'
(as they once were) and numbering them according to Unicode Standard
version is supposed to make it obvious that the web page version
trumps the book version when it comes to implementing a version of the
Standard.

Regards,

Tony Graham