xsl-list

Re: Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules

2003-09-16 08:42:39
bryan wrote:

I am trying to find an authority for the rules by which Western languages are composed into lines, in particular, the rules for where line breaks are allowed.

What do you mean by authority, hopefully not something on the order of
ISO?

Do you mean something like this:
http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#8

Although perhaps a philologically oriented rule, as in the tradition of
line breakage was established....?

This is the sort of authority I had in mind. It didn't even occur to me to look in _Elements of Style_.

I also agree with David Tolpin that line breaking has to be quite configurable in a multi-language FO context--the Unicode line breaking properties are far from sufficient to inform appropriate line-breaking behavior and, in the case of Western languages, will absolutely lead to undesired results if followed blindly.

Thanks,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber