xsl-list

RE: generate XHTML header without causing xmlns attributes in e.g. <table>?

2003-10-17 11:13:55
At 08:46 AM 10/17/2003, Mike wrote:
This means either:
* I haven't spotted your error, or
* There is something odd in a part of the stylesheet you haven't shown
us, or
* you are using a buggy XSLT processor (unlikely if you are using one of
the widely-used ones, but I don't think you told us which one it was).

I think it was mentioned the processor is Xalan.

And I have seen Xalan generate redundant and unwanted namespace declarations in the past.

When it happened to me (actually I was troubleshooting for someone else), the declaration was placed on an element that was generated by a named template. When the call to the named template was replaced by literal results, the extra namespace declaration went away. If this is the way the OP's code is, it could account for why one table gets the declaration, another doesn't. I wonder whether this isn't a case of the same oddness.

While I found this disconcerting, the problem was not, at the time, sufficiently acute for me to make a real solution a priority.

The next thing I would do is to run it against a different processor and
see if the results are the same.

In my case, they weren't. Xalan included the redundant (and DTD-invalid) declaration, but Saxon did not.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez