xsl-list

Re: Can not convert #STRING to a NodeList! Error..

2003-11-08 09:35:48
In my child templates, I am retrieving using
    <xsl:param name="labelsfile"/>

This declares an xsl:param element named "labelsfile", whose type is not
node-set.

Therefore, any attempt to use this as a node-set (e.g. by specifying it as
the value of the "select" attribute of xsl:for-each) will cause a
compile-time error.

The solution is to declare the xsl:param in such a way so that its type will
also be specified to be node-set:

     <xsl:param name="labelsfile" select="/.."/>

This declares the xsl:param to be of type node-set and to have as initial
value the empty node-set (because the root node does not have a parent). Now
the compiler "knows" that this xsl:param is of type node-set and will not
raise a type error.

Hope this helped.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

"arun prasath" <arunwaits(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> wrote in message
Hi,
In my XSL,
from the parent template I load a XML file using document() function. and
pass this as parameter to child templates.
<xsl:call-template name="main">
   <xsl:with-param name="labelsfile" select="document('English.xml')"/>
</xsl:call-template>

In my child templates, I am retrieving using
    <xsl:param name="labelsfile"/>

I also have declared a key(xsl:key) in the importing xml file in my xsl.
    <xsl:for-each select="$labelsfile">
        <xsl:value-of select="key('label','ecollab.businessfollowedby')"
/>
    </xsl:for-each>

when I transform this using my java program, I get the following
exception.
Can not convert #STRING to a NodeList!

I want to know why we get this error usually.
please help
regards
s.arun prasath