xsl-list

RE: Help: Reasons to use XML/XSL ?

2004-05-19 13:30:35
1. Typically true... A paragraph in MSWord is typically much bigger than
a that same paragraph in XML ;-) I was just thinking very generically
about reducing weight of the structure and optionally, the data, for
transmission purposes only (or at the very least obtaining the structure
as quickly as possibly and getting the data as it comes).

Sounds like you've faced large data problem, too? Some of our more
elaborate integration projects required parsing of 30meg xml files which
where being generated upon request (that was BIG xml 4 years ago ;-) ).
Data was the bulk of that size; most of which was not needed for our
purposes. Their generation time was outside our control. On our side, we
had to resort to SAX to get an acceptable execution time. Foremost, it
would have been great to have the XML provider generate only the data
needed (instead of the water hose approach). After that, it would be
nice to have DOM access to the structure while the data is still coming
down the pipe. Last, a lower delivery cost would have aided a bit (to
your point, it was NOT the main bottle neck but, every little bit
helps).

2. if I remember my crude system right it is the part:  3>4=D<

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Ferrando [mailto:mikeferrando(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 3:08 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Help: Reasons to use XML/XSL ?

Adam,
1. One thing about XML is that the package your data is in (not just
packaging for me though), is much less weighty than other formats. I
cannot think of an instance where my data would still be "data" in some
other format and be smaller than if it was in XML.

2. I don't see your code reflecting the child::elemC.
        <elemB><elemC>Weeeeeeee</elemC></elemB>

Mike F.
Washington, DC