xsl-list

RE: Can one Use JavaScript to update XSL:Variables

2004-07-28 21:01:04
Michael & Vasu -

Thanks, I finally found documentation that said the
same.  I just now got the emails, sorry for the
delayed response.

OK.  I am building my own photogallery.  As a side,
yes, I know it's all been done before.  But hey, I
want it my way!  Besides, I am learning.

Requirements (wishes)
a) 1 datafile per gallery called galleryname.xml(which
could contain 200 images or more if desired).
b) only 15 (3 rows x 5 columns) thumbs shown on the
index at a time.
c) user sees a choice of "Pages 1 2 3 4 5" and so on
d) when s/he presses the link for page 2, it shows the
next 15 thumbs, or presses 3 it shows thumbs 31-45
e) when clicked on a thumb, then browser directed to
image.xml w/ image.xsl w/ image.css.  I only want 1
image.xml file (i may have 50 galleries, i only want 1
image.xml file) which can dynamically
(client-side)figure which image to display, perhaps
based on URL. (I do not want a file with every image i
have in it.)
f) no popup windows, no flash, prefer not to use DOM
either. I'd like to stick to XML/XSLT/JavaScript.

So, in a nutshell, i was hoping my index.xml could
parse the url, update $page, and use--
<xml:for-each select="image[position() > $row * $col *
($page - 1) and position() < $row * $col * $page]">

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

- Dave

--- Michael Kay <mhk(_at_)mhk(_dot_)me(_dot_)uk> wrote:
I want to parse the URL of my page and update an
XSL variable.

You can't update XSLT variables.

Now tell us your real problem (to which you thought
the above might be a
solution).

Michael Kay

--+--