xsl-list

Re: Ideas for creating quotation collection

2004-09-20 16:53:48
On Sep 19, 2004, at 2:28 AM, Steffen Glückselig wrote:

I have my quotations in a XML-file that looks like this:
<coll>
  <quote>
<line>The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man that can not read them.</line>
    <source>Mark Twain</source>
  </quote>
</coll>

After the first pass it should be something like
<coll>
  <quote category="Mark Twain">
<line>The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man that can not read them.</line>
    <source>Mark Twain</source>
  </quote>
</coll>

With this additional information in place I want to generate a XHTML-file like this:

[html-stuff snipped]
<h2 id="Mark_Twain>Mark Twain</h2>

Just some general thoughts from a non-expert who sometimes grapples with this sort of stuff.

First, can you not clean up your XML so you don't have to worry about the case-sensitivity? How about, for example, an id for each name -- where you have code like <source idref="twain">Mark Twain</source> -- and then group by id?

With respect to how to code this, the grouping support in XSLT 2.0 is certainly useful for this sort of thing. I got some help from Jeni Tennison a few weeks back on this issue, in a thread called "regexs, grouping (?) and XSLT2?" The problem I had was more complex, but you could probably adapt it.

I don't really see why you need multiple passes, but maybe I'm not understanding right.

Bruce