xsl-list

Re: Ideas for creating quotation collection

2004-09-18 23:28:49
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:30:30 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com> wrote:

How about posting some before and after code of exactly what you're looking for?
Right,

I have my quotations in a XML-file that looks like this:
<coll>
  <quote>
<line>The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man that can not read them.</line>
    <source>Mark Twain</source>
  </quote>
</coll>

After the first pass it should be something like
<coll>
  <quote category="Mark Twain">
<line>The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man that can not read them.</line>
    <source>Mark Twain</source>
  </quote>
</coll>

With this additional information in place I want to generate a XHTML-file like this:

[html-stuff snipped]
<h2 id="Mark_Twain>Mark Twain</h2>

That is, the second pass categorizes the quotations by author or content. I'd use
<xsl:template match="*[local-name()='quote']">
  <xsl:element name="quote">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="contains(.,'Mark Twain')">
        <xsl:attribute name="category">Mark Twain</xsl:attribute>
      </xsl:when>

    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

And here is one of my problems: contains is case-sensitive. I'd like to catch all cases of case - ;-) - with one test. Is this possible?

Is my method of using two styles/two passes good, or is there another way?

thanks
Steffen