xsl-list

Re: Preseving character entities

2004-11-29 04:43:44

The file
encoding (ascii, utf8, whatever, .. is of course unrelated to the
question of whether you use entity references or chartacter references.

David

You mean named or numeric character references.

no I meant (but couldn't spell) entity references or character
references. The xml spec doesn't define anything called a named
character reference.

The encoding is only related in the way it
influences the outputting of character references..

Yes I nearly mentioned that but that's a property of the encoding
attribute of xsl:output rather than a property of the encoding of the
file. ie I was commenting on

 I would prefer UTF-8 or 'us-ascii' coded files.

as that is misleading, the files are probably encoded in utf8 or ascii
or whatever else you specify irrespective of whether character maps are
used.

David