xsl-list

RE: Whats Wrong with: <xsl:value-of select="//exec[(_at_)stepid=$temp_step]/dds/dd[logical/@id=$temp_id]" />

2004-11-12 07:33:07
Andrew,
Thanks. I didn't know there was such a great difference between these
methods.

I wonder how someone might do this if they were using only single
quotes for their xsl attributes?

Example:
<xsl:variable name='x' select='@my_attribute'/>

Mike Ferrando
Library Technician
Music Division
Library of Congress
Washington, DC
202-707-4454

--- Andrew Welch <ajwelch(_at_)piper-group(_dot_)com> wrote:

Friends,
To expand on David's post, I find it easier and less liable
to error to express the variable this way when I want a
string:  XLST 1.0
  <xsl:variable name="temp_id">SORTOUT</xsl:variable>

The problem here is that you are creating a temporary tree, which
has a
root and a single text node child.  Doing a value-of on the tree
will
return the string 'SORTOUT', as it returns all the text-nodes for
the
tree concatenated together, however, there is comparitively massive
cost
in constructing the tree and the holding it in memory.

Using <xsl:variable name="temp_id" select="'SORTOUT'"/> simply
binds the
string to the variable, and incurs no tree creation costs or the
extra
memory use.

So, although they appear very similar as using value-of on either
technique produces the same result, they are actually quite
different.

The rule of thumb is - if it's possible to do all the work in the
select
attribute do it there.

cheers
andrew