xsl-list

Re: end-of-sentence full stop in XSL:FO?

2004-12-28 06:56:01
Torsten Bronger wrote:

Hallöchen!

I'm looking for a way to distinguish between abbreviation dots and
those that end a sentence in XML.  Apparently Unicode doesn't offer
a clean solution to this (does it?), so I wondered whether the
XSL:FO standard has something for this problem?  If so, it is well
hidden I'm afraid ...

Can you explain why you need to make this distinction? Is is a presentation issue?

XSL-FO doesn't say anything about the semantics of specific Unicode characters (except for how whitespace is treated) and doesn't provide any specific semantics for characters that end sentences.

If the issue is with your FO engine doing things like breaking abbreviations across lines, I think that's just a bug in their line-breaking algorithm, which should be able to detect that the period in question is not ending a sentence (because it's immediately followed by a non-blank character).

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber