xsl-list

RE: Using id() when id and idref are in 2 different files

2004-12-13 04:07:10
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Chris Matchett

    I'm trying to work out how to use id() when the ID values
    are in a different xml file from the one where the IDREFS
    are.

The xml rec intimates that id+idref are meant for use in the same
document, so I guess the author of your xml sources is misunderstanding
the use of them.

I was hoping that I could use the document() function to add the required
content from the first file to the tree.

Is there no information on the source document for the idref?

Not sure what you mean by that.
From the titlepage xml: <role id="r1">Duke Solinus</role>
From the bodypages (source) xml: <move type="Enter" who="r1 r2 r9 r11 r12"
/> or   <speech who="r2">

How will you distinguish between id='x' in this document
and the id='x' in another when you see idref='x'?

The 2 documents used to be the same. They were only split because having an
entire play in one file is hard to read. One file has the IDs (i.e. the
cast) and the other has references to them. It's a given that the IDs are
unique as they will only be created once.

This is for my coursework and the tutor has hinted that we should make use
of ID and IDREF and also multiple documents. If necessary I can manually add
the cast info for each act to each file but that seems very in-elegant and
wasteful. But maybe you can suggest which functions are more suited to the
task?

If it's possible to have one xml source file and use xslt and Xalan to split
the content into several html files that would be the best solution but I
doubt it's possible.

Cheers
Chris.