xsl-list

Re: Result still indented despite indent="no"

2005-02-22 05:24:32
Hi David,
  Please read my doubts.. below your comments..

--- David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

No. What's supposed to happen is that the parser
reports all white space,
always,

If it should be like this.. Than xml:space="preserve"
or "default" would be non-functional! Since its
purpose is to direct XML parser to preserve or strip
white spaces!

but marks some white space as ignorable so
that higher level
applications such as xslt can ignore it if they so
choose, or in an
application like xslt have options (settable with
xsl:stip-space and
xsl;preserve-space) on whether to ignore it or not.
If the parser really
removes the white space (even if it got the correct
white space nodes)
then an application doesn't get much choice in the
matter.

I agree with you on this point! The IE's XML parser is
stripping white spaces by default. So the XSLT
processor is not able to exercise control with
xsl:preserve-space or xsl:strip-space .. And as a
workaround to this, we have to use
xml:space="preserve".. But with xml:space="preserve"
in source XML, xsl:preserve-space and xsl:strip-space
are not functioning in IE. This I feel is an important
bug?

It's white space behaviour means it is utterly
broken as an XML document
browser.

I would agree with this..

You won't have any difficulty in finding
people at MS who will
agree with that. However you might have difficulty
in getting them to
change it (I hear there's going to be an IE7..) if
you change it then
some stylesheets will behave differently and the
problem with
distributing a piece of software to 90% of the
world's desktops is that
people use it, and changing anything in a backward
incompatible way
(even if it is fixing a bug) can get expensive (for
your clients, not
for the person making the change). So it's a
commercial issue not a
technical one.

I suggested earlier.., if we can have option in future
versions of IE like use MSXML 4.0, MSXML 3.0 or MSXML
2.0, would it be a useful feature? Just like we have
choices for HTTP (HTTP 1.1 and HTTP 1.0).
This feature in IE might mitigate the risk you are
highlighting..

Regards,
Mukul

David