xsl-list

Re: Result still indented despite indent="no"

2005-02-20 10:57:25
I just saw the relevant section in XSLT 2.0 draft
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/) - section "4.4
Stripping Whitespace from a Source Tree". It seems
more clear than the XSLT 1.0 spec. But it still
does'nt explicitly say "what should happen when both
strip-space and preserve-space are not present".

Now that XSLT 2.0 draft is in the advanced stage,
probably the below clarification I am asking for,
should be clearly stated in the spec(in section 4.4).

But in that case, the spec should be a bit more
clear.. It should clearly say, what should happen,
when both strip-space and preserve-space are not
present. Whether default behaviour should be to
preserve white spaces or strip white spaces.

Hope, Mr. Kay will take care.

Regards,
Mukul

--- David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
Mukul,

as Michael says you don't need the errata in this
case, section 3.4 is
not at all ambiguous here it says:

Initially, the set of whitespace-preserving
element names contains all
element names.

so unless you specify strip-space in your
stylesheet
all white space in
the source is preserved.

This behaviour is implemented in all xslt engines
that I have seen
(including msxsl) so I don't think that there is
any
reason to doubt
that this is clear.

The difference in msxml is not in the
implementation
of xsl strip-space
it is in the parser producing the input tree
before
xslt starts. msxml
removes white space (irrespective of
xsl:strip-space
or xsl:preseve
space, the xsl instructions can only affect the
input tree as seen by
xsl and in the case of msxml the input tree has
essentially gone through
a pre-transformation that has removed space. If
you
set the
preservewhitepace property so that the parser does
not do that, you'll
see that msxml implements xsl space stripping in a
conformant way.

David