xsl-list

RE: Result still indented despite indent="no"

2005-02-20 08:13:11
Hello Mr. Kay,
  Please pardon me, because my opinion is different
from yours. You have refered an Erratum section (E30).
Its not provided in the spec
URL(http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt). I cannot find it. Can
you please provide the URL?

You have said, erratum is to clarify "what happens if
there are conflicting strip-space and preserve-space
declarations".

So if strip-space and preserve-space declarations are
not present in stylesheet, erratum will not apply. Can
we assume this? It seems to me - Erratum E30 *also*
defines the meaning of "whitespace-preserving element
names" (which was not defined before Erratum E30).

The erratum says..
"the set of whitespace-preserving element names is
specified by xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space
top-level elements".

You are saying, for the example XML -
<pre>
 <b>bold</b>
 <i>italic</i>
</pre>

The first condition is true (i.e. The element name of
the parent of the text node is in the set of
*whitespace-preserving element names*).

Whereas, whitespace-preserving element names *is
specified by* xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space
elements (given in Erratum E30).

Is'nt my understanding therefore right?

Regards,
Mukul

--- Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

Wrong. The first condition is true. The condition
for an element name in a
source document to be a member of the set of
whitespace-preserving element
names is defined in Erratum E30:

"For source documents, the set of
whitespace-preserving element names is
specified by xsl:strip-space and xsl:preserve-space
top-level elements.
Whether an element name is included in the set of
whitespace-preserving
names is determined by the best match amongst
xsl:strip-space or
xsl:preserve-space elements: it is included if and
only if there is no match
or the best match is an xsl:preserve-space element."

In other words, if the stylesheet doesn't specify
xsl:strip-space for an
element, then its whitespace text nodes must be
preserved.

(You get the same answer from reading the original
spec without the erratum;
the purpose of the erratum is to clarify what
happens if there are
conflicting strip-space and preserve-space
declarations.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/