xsl-list

RE: Disable namespace declaration in output XML

2005-02-15 07:25:54

What puzzles me is that it isn't done automatically. Why is
it added to the result tree when it isn't used?

Because namespace prefixes can appear in element or attribute content, the
system can't tell whether a namespace is used or not.

In fact I've seen XML vocabularies (the Unicode LDML [1] is an example)
where a namespace declaration is required to appear on an element even
though it the namespace prefix is not used in that element or any of its
attributes.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

[1] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/