xsl-list

Re: Replacing character entities

2005-02-14 15:03:28
At 03:02 PM 2/14/2005, you wrote:
Tempore 20:52:00, die 02/14/2005 AD, hinc in
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com scripsit
<JBryant(_at_)s-s-t(_dot_)com>:

My thought as well, as I would certainly not translate "Scio me nihil
scire" as "I know that I know nothing".
From an aesthetic point of view, that translation stinks of course; that's
why I leave it in Latin on my signature:)

I have not used my Latin in 20
years, but I do recall that "scire" is the infinitive and should be
translated as "to know" (which makes me think a verb is missing and makes
me think it's a fragment of a longer quotation or a badly formed
rewrite).
AFAIK, it is a perfect Latin phrase...

"I know myself to know nothing" would be more literal and less apt.

As far as Socrates' existence is concerned, it's attested in Xenophon and Aristophanes as well as in Plato. There's no reason I know of to believe they all made him up. (Whether the person named Socrates was much like Plato's "Socrates" character is a different matter.)

As far as XSLT is concerned -- the old satyr didn't know that either, but that seems to have bothered the Delphic Oracle as little as his lack of Latinity, when she proclaimed him the wisest.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez