xsl-list

Re: Transformation of

2005-02-11 06:24:53
Colin Paul Adams wrote:

And the word "reserved" does mean that it is not permitted.

A simple example - if you park your car in the space marked "Reserved
for the managing director" - how long do you think you will keep your job?

Perhaps it's not permitted in some sense, but we have to understand what the parser is doing. The parser is not in the position of the parker. The parser is more like the parking lot attendant or traffic enforcement agent who makes sure no one parks outside the lines. However, they can't ticket the car parked in the "Reserved for the managing director" space, because that car might indeed belong to the managing director. Furthermore, both the person occupying the position of managing director and/or the car the manging director drives may change from one day to the next.

Although names beginning with "xml" are reserved for use by the W3C, parsers and related APIs like XOM can't simply reject such names out of hand, because the W3C might come along and use those names in the future, just as they have in the past with xmlns and xml:base. Since we can't see the future we have to assume these names are allowed. At most a parser could issue a warning and even that's questionable.

Bottom line: even if using names beginning with "xml" is not permitted; it's not nearly as strongly not permitted as a well-formedness error, a validity error, or some of the unspecified errors of neither type called out in the XML 1.0 spec.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo(_at_)metalab(_dot_)unc(_dot_)edu